Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Resolution Run

New Year's is another one of those holidays that is a lot more fun when you have someone to celebrate with. Well, I decided it's too much work to go meet someone in time, so I will be running another 5K! It's a pretty cool idea, they are having people start running at different times, and you try to time your start so that you cross the finish line right at midnight! The catch is, since it is so dark and cold I may need to wear boots to stay warm, and that will add about 10 minutes on to my time. But, that's a risk I may have to take!
Last weekend we went to Seattle to see Chad and Elisa bless Eden, and it was so much fun! We left Idaho Falls, and made it to Dubois... and that's as far as we made it... The roads were closed for about 4 hours, so we waited in line by the freeway on-ramp so we could beat traffic. The roads finally opened, and our car wouldn't start... We had been watching a movie and listening to the radio and it ran the battery down. So car after car passed and watched as we just sat there 10 yards from the on ramp, and finally after about 10 minutes someone stopped and helped us jump start the car.
The roads were pretty bad the whole way there, but we were determined to get to Seattle as long as the road stayed open. We made it to Snoqualmie pass pretty late and we think that they closed the pass right after we went through, so we got lucky! The drive ended up taking about 17 hours...
The next day Chad, Elisa and Eden, Jeff, Sarah, Sophia and Jane all came to our hotel and we opened Christmas presents in one of the hotel conference rooms. I had asked Chad and Elisa to get me some shirts from a few places in Switzerland that we had visited. Well, they couldn't find any nice ones, so they ended up making one for me! The front of the shirt looks like a 'Ticket to Ride' game board but Chad and Elisa customized it so that it has all the places we visited in Switzerland! The back of the shirt has a few pictures of me in some of the cities we visited and flags from those cities. I'm sure it took them a very long time to make and I love it! I am making a quilt of t-shirts from all the cities we visited in Europe and this is a great addition!
After presents we went to Cheesecake Factory and played some games, Dave and Mandy gave my parents a game called "The Last Word" that is really fun! The whole weekend went really well, and we're so glad that we got to see Chad and Elisa again.
The drive home was a little more eventful... I sat in the back and watched season 24 the whole way. Snoqualmie pass probably should have been closed, but we made it. In all I think we saw 12 cars off the road, my dad tried pushing one car out while we were stuck behind a jack-knifed semi for about 30 minutes. We made it to Missoula and spent the night there, watching 24 until about 1am. The next day we had icy roads but good weather, and made it home in about 5 hours. After being in the car for 30 hours in 5 days I am beat...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow let us know the end result of that run! That sounds like a lot of fun!