After a few hectic days in New York City, we were ready for the next adventure-Boston! Even if the only way to start said adventure (short of spending a couple hundred dollars) was to take a Chinatown bus for 5 hours. And so, armed with finger puppets and episodes of Arrested Development, we took off. We may have gotten a little bored on the bus and decided that it was the perfect time to break out our fake mustaches. Also thought it was hilarious to be wearing them at the bus stop when Challis came to pick us up. I'm pretty sure she almost pretended she didn't know us and went running home. Not that I would blame her...
Once we got settled in their apartment we walked around Boston, went through a park and started thinking about dinner. First few places we went to were totally booked. Weird, I guess we all forgot that people like to eat out on Friday nights. Challis' hubby Josh met up with us and we continued our quest. We passed a restaurant that they said never really has people in it, but they had heard it was good. We quickly found out why it was so empty- $5 for a MINI hamburger! After staring at the menu in horror for a good 5 minutes, we decided to dash, and made up some excuse about it being my birthday and I had to go get my ID or something.
By now it's getting late and we are all hungry, so we found a little pizza place and called that good. It actually ended up being the best pizza I had on the trip- including the broccoli and spinach pizza I had in New York. Poor April had to sit there as Challis, Josh and I talked about people from high school, where they are now, who we still talk to, and about the time I got in trouble for Challis' sake. That night we just relaxed, caught up a little more and I think were going to try to watch a movie but everyone got too tired. Saturday morning we planned on walking the Freedom Trail. Challis started us in the right direction then headed into school to finish up some homework. The Freedom Trail took us past a bunch of monuments, Paul Revere's house, a few churches, and some really old cemeteries. We even saw Mother Goose's headstone- pretty cool! We walked all day and eventually ended up at the Bunker Hill monument, and decided we hadn't killed our legs enough, so we hiked the almost 300 stairs to the top. Really cool view! But it smelled and was full of sweaty tourists so we didn't stay up there long. We figured we could find our way back without following the trail again and started walking. Stopped by a little ice cream place so we could sit for a minute and took off in the direction we were hoping was correct. We asked a city worker if we were heading in the right direction and he laughed when we told him we wanted to walk- according to him it was a "very very long way." We were thinking maybe he just doesn't like walking, and a few blocks would be too long for him, so we continued on. After another block we decided to ask someone else. He also chuckled when we told him where we were heading, and instead showed us how to get to the metro. It took a few minutes to get our bearings but we ended up being able to read the metro lines and found our way to the stop we wanted.
As we were walking back to the apartment, a guy on a segway zipped past and was yelling about Red Sox tickets for that night. We decided on the max amount we would pay for it, and walked into the office. Well, they were selling the tickets for about $20 over my max amount, but April is pretty persuasive and we walked out of there with 2 tickets. And since you can't go to a Sox game without all the gear we stopped by Fenway on our way back to the apartment to get all of our poser Red Sox garb. And that's Boston, stay tuned for our Rockport/Salem adventure, and the second scariest thing that happened on our trip!




4 comments:
Which pizza place?
Oh let me think... It was on Mayberry st possibly... I know it was across the street from Upper Crust and we had to walk down some stairs to get to it. I had the BBQ Chicken
Jordyn, I don't know how we feel about the Boston Red Sox Shirt... oh dear...
BUT! We are glad that you had so much fun on your trip! I love seeing the pictures on here and on facebook. :) It seems like during the winter we don't get to see you as much, hopefully Jacks Pack will remedy that!
Looks like a fun time! I would love a trip like that with a good girlfriend!
Post a Comment