Monday, May 10, 2010

Celebrities and Finger Puppets

I guess I should start my vacation-wrap-up post, seeing as this will count for my journal entry to make sure I don't forget what I did. Another tax season has come and gone, and with that was another trip to the East coast.
We landed in New York on a Tuesday afternoon and just walked around for a while, ate dinner at the ESPN Zone restaurant, and crashed in our hotel around 11:30. Wednesday the madness started. We decided to try and get on the
Today Show. We had asked quite
 a few locals and they all said that people start to line up around 4:30.  Well, if we were going to get up and do this anyway, we might as well do it right. Our hotel was only a few blocks from where they tape the show, so we decided to get up early and leave the hotel by 4am. We got to the taping spot, and there was not a soul in sight. As we were walking around the barricades, someone came out of the building so we talked to him for a minute- turns out he was the sound guy for the show and he told us where to stand in line and where we would want to be for the taping. We went and stood in the line, which for the moment was just on the street corner (not exactly where 2 girls want to be standing at 4am in New York.) Around 4:20 we did have a visitor. He was clearly still inebriated from the night before and just would not leave us alone. Still not another soul on the streets. The good news is, when I thought he was reaching in his jacket for a gun, he was actually just grabbing another can of beer. Finally a high school choir came for the show and eventually our drunk friend wandered away. We stood right where our sound guy friend told us to and ended up being on camera longer than anyone else in the crowd! After they were done filming in front of us Meredith Viera came and talked to April and I for a minute. I gave her one of our finger puppets and she wore it on the air a little later! When the anchors went back inside the sound guy came back over and gave us a high five, it was pretty cool.  We walked around that area for about an hour, found a cool cathedral and went back to our hotel for a nap.

That night we wanted to go to a Broadway play, so we headed over to the TKTS stand, and ran in to my friend ShaLyse who was visiting for the week as well! Very cool.  Found tickets for Mary Poppins or Mamma Mia for half price, and since I saw Mamma Mia last year we decided to go with Mary Poppins.  I was a little skeptical but it ended up being really good! The set was amazing and the songs were so fun.
The next day we spent a few hours in Central Park and actually saw Al Roker jogging (ok, I guess I can't call it jogging... he was walking somewhat briskly and sweating profusely...) Other highlights from New York were the night tour to Brooklyn, boat tour around the Statue of Liberty and just people watching in general. We also made a run to Serendipity for their famous frozen hot chocolate.
 
This concludes the New York part of the trip, stay tuned for Boston and DC!

1 comment:

m@R(! said...

so much fun!!! lucky.