Sunday, February 15, 2009

My statue in Roma

My mom and I took a sightseeing bus in Rome so we would have an idea of what was around the city, and decide what we would come back for. Going through the city, we crossed this bridge that had statues on each side. For some reason I absolutely loved this one. Now I don't even pretend to know about art and sculpting, but just looking at this makes me feel hopeful I guess. I love how it looks like it's moving, and it makes me sad that I don't know more about it. Every time we drove past it I would take another 3 pictures, and I'm so glad I did!
While in Rome, we had a little trouble... and I've been putting off writing about it. I won't go in to specifics, but my mom and I had to split up for a while. We planned to meet at the Spanish Steps, and had a designated meeting place that we would check every half hour. So we separated around noon or so, and I took the tour bus around to get back to the steps, and decided to stop by our hostel to grab a few things. By the time the bus got to the right stop it was almost 2:00. I was worried that my mom would already be there, so I passed the cathedrals and went straight to the steps hoping she'd be there waiting. Well, she wasn't. I found a little cafe and got a sandwich and kept checking back. Four o'clock... 5 o'clock... starting to get a little worried... I didn't dare go too far cause I was expecting her back any minute. 6 o'clock... By 6:30 I really didn't know what to do. The tour bus only ran until 7:30, and I was way too far from the hostel to walk. So what now? I was scared to leave the steps because that's where my mom and I had arranged to meet, but I definitely didn't want to get stuck in the middle of Rome after dark. I decided I didn't really have a choice, I took the last bus, and with tears in my eyes I made my way back to the hostel.
I came walking up the street, and there is my mom sitting on the hostel steps talking to a US Marine, pretty upset at not knowing where I was. Apparently she had made it to the steps by 1:30, and left by 1:45 thinking I had already come and gone and figured I'd be waiting at the hostel. She had been sitting there worried ever since. We had a tearful reunion and went out for a nice dinner to make up for it.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

That must have been terrifying. Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it. Your mom must have been going out of her mind.

Brett - Rachel B said...

oh man, I can't think anything scarier! Glad it worked out though (obviously!)
You should update us when you find out what that statue is about.

Anonymous said...

that most have been a night. i was worried for both of you, how scary.

m@R(! said...

you are definitly having some adventures!!! how fun!

Amanda said...

Hey Jordyn, I'm glad you commented on my blog because I didn't know about your new one! I'm so jealous about your trip to Europe, how amazing! Speaking of amazing, when you make bakerella's chocolate box, I want to see some pictures! Good luck!